Whenever I need a quick and easy dinner that has plenty of hidden goodness I make sausage rolls. The kids like them and the combinations are endless. They are also great for lunch on the go or to pack in school lunch boxes.
I usually don't have time to make my own pastry and just use the puff pastry sheets in the freezer section of the supermarket. If you want to make them to use your families needs then I'm sure you could use your own pastry recipe with success.
I have also used my thermo cooker to chop and blend the ingredients but you can use a food processor or even grate/chop the ingredients by hand. I like to whizz everything up so that my kids find it harder to see what's inside!
Vege Loaded Turkey Sausage Rolls
3 sheets of puff pastry slightly thawed
2 cloves of garlic
1 onion chopped in half
1 leek (white part only) roughly chopped
1 carrot roughly chopped
1 zucchini roughly chopped
500g turkey mince
1 teaspoon of sage
1 heaped tablespoon nutritional yeast (available in our store)
1 egg or olive oil
sesame seeds to sprinkle
1. Preheat your fan forced oven to 180.
2. Place the garlic, onion, leek, carrot and zucchini in the food processor and process until vegetables are chopped really small. (chop speed 6, 10 seconds)
3. As you add the turkey mince break it up. Add the sage and nutritional yeast. Process on low speed until everything is combined. (mix speed 4, 20 seconds or until combined)
4. Cut the thawed puff pastry sheets in half. Place the sausage roll filling down the centre of each half in a log shape until all the filling has been used.
5. Roll the puff pastry around the filling to close the sausage roll and cut into pieces. I cut each log into 6 but you can also cut them into 4 if you like your sausage rolls bigger.
6. Line a baking tray or 2 and place your cut sausage rolls spaced apart on the tray. Use the egg or olive oil as a wash on the top of each roll and sprinkle the sesame seeds on each.
7. Place the tray in the oven and cook the sausage rolls for 20 mins.
8. Remove from the oven, cool and enjoy!